Sunday, September 12, 2010

A lot of firsts and some great food!

It's been a little while since we've posted, but we've been a bit busy. :)

All of Ella's documents have been turned in to get her registration of foreign birth, which is her U.S. birth certificate. We should receive her birth certificate in about four-to-six weeks.

Ella met her cousins, Bryce and Aiden, and her uncle Jason for the first time over Labor Day. She had a wonderful time with them and loved to play. I think Bryce really took to Ella... and now believes she's real!!!

We also took Ella to the Potter Park Zoo for the first time. I think she was more amazed at the people than the animals, but it will come. That was an exhausting day as we kept her busy with errands.

The DeWitt Public Library offers a story time for toddlers. Jennifer and Ella were able to attend for the first time last week. The first 15 minutes is listening to stories and music and the last 15 minutes is floor (play) time with other kids.

This past weekend, we went to the lake for the Dunn's Fun Run, which honored Larry's life. It was very wet but fun at the same time. A lot of people came out and ran and walked in the rain. Ella stayed dry, but I did run the three miles.

While at the lake, Ella was able to meet her cousins, Ryan and Emily, her uncle Mark and aunt Deb, uncle Rick and aunt Susie, uncle Al and aunt Susie, and, of course, see her mamaw again. Many friends also got to meet Ella, too!

There were a few more firsts for Ella at the lake:
1. She had her first Sycamore (the best custard in the world).
2. She had her first taste of Sugar Cream Pie (an Indiana staple that NO other state offers).
3. She went to Riverside Park and rode on the Carousel.

It was great to see everyone and spend time together (even though it was a short trip). Ella received many wishes and gifts of which we are so thankful.

This week is going to be another busy week for her.

Tomorrow (Monday), Jenn is going to take her to her daycare facility to meet everyone.

Tuesday she has another doctor's appointment. We are anxious about this one to see how much weight she's gained. She's really become a little pig, lately. We are very thankful for that. It's been fun to see her belly (or Buddha belly as we like to call it) become larger.

Wednesday, she has story time again and her first toddler music class at MSU, both with Jenn.

Thursday is her first swim lesson with daddy.

Friday is our first post-placement visit with our social worker.

She is really changing in front of our very own eyes. She is becoming more vocal, ALMOST crawling (seriously, I think we have days until she's loose), she know's how big she is (sooooo big), she knows where the ceiling fan is (she looks up), she shakes her head yes when she is asked if daddy is her favorite, and she knows how to clap.

Everyone continues to ask us 'how we're adjusting?' That question perplexes me everytime we get asked. I mean... we've been waiting for Ella for more than four years and we've been wanting a family for more than 10 years. I don't really think there's an adjustment period going on at all. We love her very much and she has made our lives much more fulfilling. With that said, we've learned a few things:

1. It takes longer to get ready to do anything.
2. We can't be on the go all the time (I'm just reiterating this for my own benefit.)
3. Whenever we go somewhere, we have everything but the kitchen sink. I almost think we should purchase a trailer for her stuff.
4. Ella cannot tolerate being fed in a moving vehicle (she puked it all up).
5. We must be prepared for anything and everything. Which really means, we've added a change of clothes in the diaper bag.

With that all said (or typed), below are some photos for all of you...

3 comments:

Steve and Mellissa said...

You guys are busy. I'm so happy that Ella's is not sick anymore. I was worried. We have to make plans to come see you guys.

grandmarockton said...

She looks like SHE'S the "apple of daddys eyes"!

M.Vars said...

Hi,

My name is Mary and my daughter is also from Taihe SWI. I believe I have some photos of your daughter from our visit to Taihe. I live in China where this website is blocked so I don't often have a chance to see your blog. But while I have the chance I wanted to say hello and give you my email address. If you would like to email me, I will show you the pictures I have from Taihe. If there are pictures of Ella, I will send them to you. Congratulations. Mary m.vars@yahoo.com